I have made two pipes in the last two weeks.
The first is a freehand churchwarden, which was a lot of fun to shape. The textured top is the natural top of the burl from which briar pipes are made. I decided to leave a little of the texture around the stem, too.
This particular piece of briar had a few small flaws, but it cleaned up pretty nicely, and the figure is good.
The other pipe was something of an adventure. It all started with this briar wood blank:
The blank was originally cut so that the grain would run sideways, but it was thick enough that, when turned on its side, the grain runs vertically, which is more attractive on most pipes. This is the result:
This is the twelfth pipe I’ve made.
I don’t mean to turn this into a pipe-making blog, but I’ve been making them because the work pays. Eventually, I will post a short tutorial on shaping a pipe with hand tools, but I need to make a few more yet before I can be confident giving advice.