In my last post, I assembled the frame-and-panel carcase of my tool chest. This week I have only a small amount of progress to relate. I got the bottom nailed on:
You will notice that not all the boards on the bottom are the same thickness.
It all kind of came together serendipitously. I had a fairly wide 5/4 cedar board that I wanted to use for the bottom, but I didn’t have enough to cover the whole bottom. I did, however, have a couple 4/4 poplar off-cuts from a previous project that just fit into the gaps. The casters I have are 2″ tall, so I decided to put the thin boards on the ends, where the casters would be attached, and put the thick boards in the center. And now my tool chest smells like a cedar blanket chest inside. A nice bonus.
The boards are shiplapped–that is, each adjoining edge has overlapping rabbets cut into the boards, which allows the boards to expand and contract without opening up gaps between the boards. Shiplapping boards of uneven thicknesses is an added challenge. But between my Veritas plow plane and my Stanley 78, I got everything fitted okay.
Now to make the lower apron, which will be dovetailed around the bottom. It will add a some rigidity to the carcase, which feels just a little bit delicate right now. Once the skirt and the dust seal are on, though, it will feel beefy.